At Travel Counsellors, we care about our customers, communities and our colleagues more than anyone else and that’s what makes us special. For us, relationships trump transactions and we are there for our customers, connecting with them on a deeply human level through the moments that matter.
We’ve been changing lives for over 26 years as the leading travel marketplace for self-employed travel entrepreneurs, empowering over 1,800 global independent travel agents to run successful leisure and corporate travel businesses as part of a company that truly cares and one that has never wavered from its purpose; to redefine what personal means for a travel business.
Our Travel Counsellors are supported by a team of over 200 super talented people in our Support Offices to help them create unique, inspiring and exciting experiences for their customers, building lasting personal relationships that brings them back to us, time and time again.
We’re fired up for the future as the demand for travel after COVID-19 returns even greater than before, and we’re looking for the brightest and the best to come and join us to take our business to the next level.
As General Ledger Manager you will be responsible for a team of Management Accountants and Accounts Assistants ensuring a strong control environment, end to end, across all functions within Financial Operations. Enabling clean audit reports, leading process improvements, coaching and developing the core general accounting team within the function. Based in Manchester, the successful candidate will be a qualified, CCAB registered, accountant with at least 4 years PQE within a Shared Service / Finance Operation Function.
As General Ledger Manager you’ll be responsible for:
- Leading a team of 1 qualified, 1 part qualified and 2 trainee accountants, delivering accounting activities across multiple international subsidiaries
- Executing month-end closing routines and provision of first level management reporting and analysis to business units
- Ensuring outsourced activities are delivered aligned to agreed service levels
- Ensuing a clean Trial Balance across all business units and all processes feeding into the process
- Ensuring compliance with all accounting standards, compliance requirements, etc. across the processes
- Owning and leading control and governance reviews across Fin Ops team with monthly control reviews with Finance Operations Manager and other work stream leads.
- Deliver services aligned to SLA and achievement of agreed KPIs
- Reporting of team KPIs and process controls as per Service Management Framework.
- Work with other teams in finance and the business to resolve issues.
- To be able to plan, prioritise own and team’s workload and to ensure deadlines are achieved; customer queries/disputes are resolved quickly and efficiently.
- Lead, motivate, develop and manage the team
- Ensuring the operating model and structure within the General Ledger team is sustainable and fit for purpose.
- Instigate a service culture and customer service orientation in the teams.
- Develop continuous improvement initiatives with the team.
- Improving end to end accounting processes by liaising with other finance teams and the wider business
- Reengineering processes to enable a reduced month-end book closure using a risked based decision-making process.
- Bringing outside thinking and learnings into Travel Counsellors by identifying external networks to join.
- Any other duties that may reasonably be required
Adding Value to Travel Counsellors
- You will be a role model for our business values, using your personality and behaviours, to maintain integrity and a can-do attitude
- You will have a willingness to go the extra mile and always strive to seek job satisfaction
- You always bring your authentic self to work
- You will have the ability to think digitally as we continue to evolve as a digital first business, and that means we need you to have the right knowledge, skills and appetite to effectively use digital systems to support delivery of an efficient, robust finance environment.
- You pride yourself on building loyal and mutual trusting relationships with colleagues, TCs and supplier partners
- You will respect and value diversity, creating an environment that is inclusive of all
- You will be focused on your own personal development as well as the future of our business, contributing new and innovate ideas and ways of working
- You actively seek out opportunities and find meaningfulness at work
- You will not be afraid to use your voice to challenge or reinforce the status quo, guided by our values and behaviours
- Able to use their understanding of our customers to take proactive action to improve the customer experience and exceed their expectations. Ability to build rapport and engage collaboratively with staff at all levels.
- Able to spot opportunities, able to engage the right people and create plans to makes things happen. Well organised, able to prioritise effectively and work to deadlines.
- Holds self and others to account for meeting goals and celebrating success and take ownership of tasks, maintaining focus when tight deadlines are required. Ability to work with minimum supervision
- A role model with high standards of honesty and integrity and show consistency between what they say and how they act.
- Talent – Is able to see developing talent as an organisational imperative.
- Views innovation as a priority and can show creative thinking when solving problems, wanting to resolve these as quickly as possible.
- Takes a proactive interest in other business areas and bringing the right people together to ensure we deliver what’s important.
- Creates a climate where colleagues are motivated to do their best.
- Think Digital - We’re continuing to evolve as a digital first business, and that means we need you to have the right knowledge, skills and appetite to effectively use digital systems to support delivery of an efficient, robust finance environment.
- IT literate with advanced knowledge of MS Office, especially Excel.
- Excellent time-management and prioritisation skills with strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Proven leadership experience of an operational finance team
- Proven leadership / people management experience.
- Proven experience in a service-oriented culture including management of SLAs.
- Proven experience in driving a culture of continuous improvement.
- Experience in continuous improvements.
- Experience in change management.
- Active participation in systems improvement/implementation programmes.
- Preferably good ERP experience.
- Qualified ACCA, ACA, or CIMA or similarly recognised accounting qualification
- Lean / six sigma skills would be an advantage.
- You will take pride in your appearance and personal brand and possess a charismatic personality
- You will be forward thinking, and customer focused
- Comfortable operating in fast-paced environments with informal ways of working
- Naturally ambitious, hardworking and achievement oriented
- You will be resilient and have a strong desire to succeed, going above and beyond to deliver exceptional results
- Possess a great work ethic, positive mindset and limitless thinking
- Flexible in your approach to working hours & patterns