Founded 26 years ago, Travel Counsellors is the UK’s leading travel marketplace for self-employed travel agents with a growing international presence. Private equity backed by Vitruvian Partners, well-known for backing exceptional entrepreneurs and management teams in companies creating sustainable high growth or strategic value through change and transformation, our disruptive model enables over 1,800 independent travel entrepreneurs to create home-based travel businesses using a high touch, service-led approach to target a wide range of leisure and corporate travel customers.
With our own sophisticated and proprietary technology (Phenix), 2019 was the Company’s 17th year of consecutive double-digit growth with a total transaction value (TTV) surpassing £650million for the first time and with a UK leisure travel market valued at £6bn, we believe our aim to ‘scale with intimacy’ will help drive our mission to transform the travel experiences for our customers and the lives of our Travel Counsellors, colleagues and communities.
Voted the ‘Best Travel Operator’ in ‘Money Saving Expert’s July 2020 survey for how refunds and customer service has been handled during the COVID-19 crisis as a result of our business model that is powered by our people and unique sense of community. We’re more confident than ever that our business model will be even more valuable in a post-pandemic world as we look to capitalise on a consumer group looking for a personal service from a travel provider whilst offering a life-changing experience for our global Travel Counsellor community.
Role Summary and Core Responsibilities
Reporting to Head of Sales Performance, and working closely with the Sales Director, the role will be responsible for driving change, pace and innovation in line with our business strategy, acting as a crucial business coach, tailoring your approach in line with individual Travel Counsellors real-life business challenges and customising their learning pathways and development requirements.
This is a critical Travel Counsellor (TC-facing) role focused on Coaching TCs to develop successful growth-businesses. Through guidance, support and encouragement, you will help TCs set goals, find-win-retain business, and increase sales & margin by employing the best tools, tech and tactics. You will create measurable accountability with TCs in-line with the company’s goals, values and business strategies. Most importantly, you will be a key facilitator and motivator for how to use the coaching suite available, self-serve where required, and how they leverage (& contribute to) the power of the TC Community through TC-to-TC support.
We’re aiming to digitally transform our business (improve service quality, cost-effectiveness, operational success), our support systems and create high performing teams and environments, therefore it is essential that you’re passionate about people / process development and improvements. Customer success and the whole customer journey is at the heart of the Travel Counsellors business model therefore a fundamental priority, it’s key to our growth and long-term success. We must work closely with our Travel counsellors community as we embark on a journey of change, altering the way we work operationally to produce the maximum results whilst retaining, and continuing to protect our company’s DNA and protect the special culture we operate here at TC.
Over the past decade, digital channels continue to grow at a progressive rate, closing the gap on traditional enterprise customer care and service. Digital messaging and social selling compliment the absolute necessity to talk to Customers and build lasting, trusted relationships.Where our TC’s customers have previously used a small number of single channels to contact them they are now opting to use a variety of channels depending on geographical territory, age, and other preferences dependent upon their capabilities – we have always been at the forefront of being even more personal, whilst leveraging Digital.We want to invest in ideas and technology that will be useful to our business and what better way to develop and grow our business and brand than to bring our Travel Counsellors and their customers on that change journey with us, helping them to understand the rationale behind our business decisions and redefining what personal means in Travel.
We need a strong influencer, who can inspire change, win hearts and minds and make constant improvements to the way we do things, whilst embodying our core values of Human, Caring, Entrepreneurial & Impact.
The role will also include:
- SALES COACHING: Using your coaching/mentoring skills, and leveraging the TC Community & platform, you will empower TCs to find-win-retain business to grow sustainable finances.
- DIGITAL ADOPTION: Empowering TCs to build digitally enabled businesses, encouraging them to adopt our tech/tools, improve efficiency and improve engagement (& ultimately retention & performance).
- DATA DRIVEN: You will be expected to be comfortable and experienced with analysing data and reporting, providing insight and making recommendations on an individual and aggregated TC-level.
- FUTURE FOCUSED:Empowering TCs to continuously business-plan and set stretch goals and objectives whilst encouraging accountability, consistency & measurability in their businesses.
- LEARNING & DEVELOPMENT: Encouraging and promoting a self-serve and self-development culture via our in-house eLearning platform, highlighting the need for relevant (and/or mandatory) training.
- WORK ETHIC: Going the extra mile to ensure you (& TCs) deliver the highest level of personal service and care that can be found in the industry.
- TRAINING & DELIVERY: Delivering training to both individuals and groups (both digitally and face-to-face) and representing our business internally and at industry events/roadshows/conferences.
- SELF-DEVELOPMENT: Responsible for planning and managing your time to ensure all aspects of your role are maximised, KPI’s are exceeded, and you own your personal and professional development – drawing upon external, leading-edge thinking.
- FLEXIBILITY: Working within agile & cross-functional teams to deliver projects & programmes to increase the performance & engagement of our TCs.
- ZERO TOLERANCE: Preserving, protecting & promoting the highest standards in everything you (and our TCs) do – in-line with our Core Values & The TC Way.
Experience and Qualifications
- A minimum of 3 years proven experience of 1-2-1 Coaching & mentoring SME’s, sole-traders and/or small business owners to improve performance e.g. finding, winning & retaining customers, with the ability to motivate and influence others and build trust through effective listening and collaboration skills.
- Previous experience of owning & managing a small business / being self-employed (essential)
- Experience of working within a people-focused, entrepreneurial, caring culture
- Proven experience of using Digital skills to scale new/small business (ideally from own personal experience and/or in a coaching or advisory capacity) e.g. Social selling.
- Experience of working with an e-learning platform, including creating content & delivering programmes
- Proven experience within a Sales/Account Management role, ideally within the Travel Industry
- Experience of designing individual learning pathways
- Excellent communication and people skills, with an innate ability to quickly develop new (& lasting) relationships in an empathetic, encouraging and motivational way.
- Commercially astute and analytical, with the ability to analyse MI/Data & provide insight.
- Ability to deliver training and present to audiences at all levels and can adapt your style of communication to suit the audience.
- Excellent IT literacy & digitally enabled
- A professional Business Coaching or Mentoring qualification (desirable, and may become essential during Candidate shortlisting)
- A professional Sales or Business Management qualification (desirable)
- A professional Travel qualification (desirable)
SKILLS & PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Well organised, able to prioritise effectively and work to deadlines with strong attention to detail and accuracy
- You take ownership of tasks, maintaining focus when tight deadlines are required.
- A role model with high standards of honesty and integrity and show consistency between what they say and how you act.
- Views innovation as a priority and can show creative thinking when solving problems, wanting to resolve these as quickly as possible
- Takes a proactive interest in other business areas and bringing the right people together
- You will take pride in your appearance and personal brand and possess a charismatic personality
- Comfortable operating in fast-paced environments with informal ways of working
- Possess a great work ethic, positive mindset and limitless thinking
- You will be forward thinking, and customer focused
- Naturally ambitious, hardworking and achievement oriented
- You will be resilient and have a strong desire to succeed, going above and beyond to deliver exceptional results.