At Travel Counsellors, we care about our customers, communities and our colleagues more than anyone else and that’s what makes us special. For us, relationships trump transactions and we are there for our customers, connecting with them on a deeply human level through the moments that matter.
We’ve been changing lives for over 27 years as the leading travel marketplace for self-employed travel entrepreneurs, empowering over 1,800 global independent travel agents to run successful leisure and corporate travel businesses as part of a company that truly cares and one that has never wavered from its purpose; to redefine what personal means for a travel business.
Our Travel Counsellors are supported by a team of over 200 super talented people in our Support Offices to help them create unique, inspiring and exciting experiences for their customers, building lasting personal relationships that brings them back to us, time and time again.
We’re fired up for the future as the demand for travel after COVID-19 returns even greater than before, and we’re looking for the brightest and the best to come and join us to take our business to the next level.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a bright and enthusiastic Senior Legal Counsel to join our Legal team.
You will need 6+ years PQE gained at a top UK law firm or highly rated in-house team.
A solid commercial background is essential, as is significant commercial contracts experience. Data protection experience is preferable.
Role and Responsibilities
As a senior leader within Travel Counsellors you will be required to manage a varied international workload, working closely with the executive and senior management teams to support on all commercial, governance and regulatory matters affecting the group. You will also deputise for the Group General Counsel & Company Secretary as required.
You will be responsible for managing the day to day legal workflow. Additionally, you will provide critical support to the various special projects being led by the Group General Counsel & Company Secretary as the business evolves and grows.
This is a new and important role within the team.
The work covered includes:
- Commercial agreements, including franchise agreements and supply agreements for travel and other goods / services.
- Regulatory and compliance issues, in particular travel regulation (including Package Travel Regulations and ATOL), financial crime, competition law and territory specific issues.
- Advice on various banking and CAA obligations.
- Broad range of data protection advice and support.
- Marketing and digital strategy.
- Supporting other members of the team with consumer and other legal issues as and when required.
- Leading on any significant disputes with customers, suppliers or franchisees.
- Project work.
- Supporting the Group Health and Safety Manger.
- Managing the group’s intellectual property.
- Keeping the team updated on legal developments and seeking continuous improvement in terms of both team processes and wider business compliance.
Key skills and Attributes
- Able to work in an agile, high pressured environment and can respond quickly to stakeholder needs.
- Experience in managing and influencing multiple stakeholders, globally, and comfortable working with C-level executives and private equity representatives.
- Commercially aware and action orientated.
- Excellent communicator able to work at all levels of the organisation and with the confidence and credibility to support and gain the respect of the business.
- Able to build and develop strong relationships.
- Team player.
- Engaging, clear and concise communicator.
- Common sense and pragmatic approach.
- Highly organised and able to prioritise and provide timely responses in a fast-moving environment.
- Adaptable and flexible.
- Seeks to find new and better ways of doing things.
- Very professional approach to work.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Capability to deputise for the Group General Counsel & Company Secretary