Here at Travel Counsellors, looking after the personal data that you share with us is extremely important. We would like to share with you how we use your data to make your experience truly personal and to explain how we secure your personal data.
Personal Data we may collect
Travel Counsellors Limited is the Data Controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation.
When you register for our Services on our Websites, for example signing up for marketing emails or requesting to be contacted by a member of the Travel Counsellor’s team, you may provide us with:
- Your personal details, including your name, postal addresses, email addresses and phone numbers
- Information about your employment background and experience
- Depending on your method of communication, we may keep a recording of your email or telephone call
When you contact us, or we contact you to take part in any surveys or questionnaires about our services, we may collect:
- Personal data you provide about yourself anytime you contact us about our services (for example, your name and contact details), including by phone, email or post or when you speak with us through social media
- Details of the emails and other digital communications we send to you that you open, including any links in them that you click on
- Your feedback and contributions to customer surveys and questionnaires
We may also use personal data from other sources such as specialist companies that supply information, online media channels, our supplier partners and public registers. For example, this other personal data helps us to:
- Review and improve the accuracy of the data we hold; and
- Improve and measure the effectiveness of our marketing communications, including online advertising
- If you call our Head Office, your call will be recorded.
When you interact with us via our Social Accounts, we may collect:
- Social media content such as imagery, video content and feedback such as reviews and social interactions
- For any content you submit, we may use, copy, modify, adapt, publish or incorporate such content into forms of marketing messaging and advertising for our social accounts, email marketing, print brochures, direct mail, and our Website
- We may also request personal data such as contact details and location in order to process enquiries. This data will not be used for any other purpose
We may also use personal data from social media sources such as Facebook advertising that supply information, cookie and third-party data. For example, this type of personal social media data helps us to:
- Contribute to reviewing and improving the messaging and marketing we share on our social accounts such as analytical and reporting data
- Improve and measure the delivery and effectiveness of our marketing communications across social media advertising
When you use our Website we use data tracking software (‘cookies’) which allow us to collect:
- Information about your online browsing behaviour on our Websites and information about when you click on one of our adverts (including those shown on other organisations’ Websites)
- Information about any devices you have used to access our Services (including the make, model and operating system, IP address, browser type and mobile device identifiers)
How we use Personal Data
We use personal data to effectively manage and improve the services we offer to you, including:
- Providing a specialised and personalised service to you to help us meet your needs as a potential franchisee, including providing you with marketing material that is relevant to your discussions with our new franchise sales team. This may include us measuring your responses to marketing communications
- Contact and interaction with you, for example by phone, email or post or by responding to social media posts that you send to us, so that we can service your query effectively
- Improve our online services, including improving our Websites (see Cookies & Technology section)
- Detection and prevention of fraud or other crimes, so that we can ensure you can safely use our services
- Improvement and development of our products and suppliers, information technology systems and the way we communicate with you, including measuring the responses to certain products
Sharing Personal Data
We may share the personal data we collect with other companies in the Travel Counsellors Group, where it is necessary for the effective servicing of a query.
We may share the personal data we collect with other Supplier Partners and Service Providers. We only share personal data that enable our Supplier Partners to provide their services. We work with carefully selected Service Providers that carry out certain functions on our behalf, including for example, companies that help us with our technology services, storing and combining data, and processing payments. We only share personal data that enable our Service Providers to effectively provide their services.
When we share personal data with these companies we require them store and process it securely, and they must not use your personal data for their own marketing purposes.
We may also need to share personal data with other organisations in certain circumstances:
- If the law or a public authority says we must share the personal data
- If we need to share personal data in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (this includes providing personal data to others for the purposes of preventing fraud and reducing credit risk)
- To an organisation we sell or transfer (or enter into negotiations to sell or transfer) any of our businesses or any of our rights or obligations under any agreement we may have with you. If the transfer or sale goes ahead, the organisation receiving your personal data can use your personal data in the same way as us
- To any other successors in title to our business
The personal data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by companies operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our Service Providers.
Protection of Personal Data
The protection and safe-guarding of your personal data is very important to us and we implement various security safeguards to protect your data, including:
- Encryption, such as the use of Transport Layer Security (TLS) where personal data is transferred over the internet
- Regular reviews of our processes for collecting, storing and processing your personal data
- Restricting access to your personal data to authorised users. This includes the use of physical security measures
However, whilst we take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, please note that we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data that you transfer over the internet to us.
Cookies and technology
Whilst the focus of the provision of our products and services is via personal communications, we support this relationship digitally via our Websites.
You can use your browser settings to accept or reject new Cookies and to delete existing Cookies. You can also set your browser to notify you each time new Cookies are placed on your computer or other device.
We will send you relevant news and offers about our products and services in a number of ways, including by email and occasionally, personally by phone direct from a member of the new franchise sales team, but only if you have previously agreed to receive these marketing communications or have engaged with us in a service provision way. When you register with us on our Websites, we will ask you if you would like to receive marketing communications. When you engage with a member of our new franchise sales team, they will also ask you if you would like to receive marketing communications. You can change your marketing choices over the phone or in writing to us at Head Office at any time.
We may also wish to contact you about your views to help us improve our products and services, so we may contact you for market research purposes. You can choose not to take part in our market research.
Applying to become a Travel Counsellor
All of the information you provide during the process will be used for the purpose of progressing your application, or to fulfil legal or regulatory requirements if necessary. We will use the contact details you provide to us to contact you to progress your application and to send communications to support your decision to become a Travel Counsellor. We will use the other information you provide to assess your suitability for the role you have applied for.
Application stage: We ask you for your personal details including name, contact details and date of birth. We will also ask you about your previous experience. Our new franchise sales team will have access to all of this information.
We might ask you to participate in discovery days; complete tests or occupational personality profile questionnaires; and/or to attend an interview – or a combination of these. Information will be generated by you and by us. For example, we will take interview notes and this information will be held by Travel Counsellors.
Onboarding & compliance: You must complete a Franchise Application form which will ask you to provide details including a 5- year address and employment history, next of kin and NI number. You must also successfully complete additional pre-induction checks including proof of identity, CV, character and employment references, bank details in order for us to process commission payments and emergency contact details. A credit check with Experian will also be carried out.
Under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), you have the right to see the personal data we hold about you. This is called a Subject Access Request. If you would like a copy of the personal data we hold about you, or would simply like to ask any questions about how we collect, store and use personal data, please write to:
No 1 Old Park Lane
You can also email us at DPO@travelcounsellors.com
If you would like to exercise your rights under the GDPR, such as the right to be forgotten on our systems or if you would like to withdraw your consent to be marketed and/or communicated with, you may do so via a specific request to your Travel Counsellors and/or contact us directly on DPO@travelcounsellors.com.