In addition to our strong community, Travel Counsellors are empowered to work in teams, employ staff, share offices and more so they keep the sense of team spirit they are used to and can maximise their productivity.
If you’ve got an insatiable passion for travel, care about putting the customer at the centre of everything you do, and want more control over your working life; setting up your own business as a Travel Counsellor could be perfect for you.
Why Travel Counsellors?
We don’t have high street shops, call centres or online booking websites, meaning there’s no internal competition for our franchisees.
All our revenue is generated through franchisees, and we’re not trying to squeeze margins by driving revenue directly to ourselves, instead of our franchisees.
We are not owned by a parent company, nor operate any sub-brands, meaning we can always act in our franchisees’ best interests.
This isn’t the case for many travel homeworking franchise organisations, so make sure you ask any company you approach how their business model works.
We are only profitable if our franchisees are; that’s why we always put them first. And for the previous 15 years, we’ve seen double-digit growth, having our best year ever in 2018 with over £600m in revenue.
Your business, your way
Travel Counsellors are in control of the hours they work, and how they work.
Some of our franchisees employ their own staff, others work in teams and split the profits, whilst others keep business separate, but share an office space and work together as a community.
There’s no ‘one way’ of working, and we support all our franchisees to find a way to establish and grow their businesses.
All we ask is that you make a full-time commitment and always operate in the customers’ best interests.
We don’t offer salaried franchise positions – our business model works on a commission split where you take 60% of the profits, and the remaining 40% funds our support team that helps grow your business.
We don’t set sales targets or cap earnings. Meaning the more you sell, the more money you’ll make.
We’ve made selling travel as easy as possible through our in-house booking platform, Phenix.
Flights, hotels, cruises, transfers, attractions, rail and ancillaries are all available in Phenix, meaning you have everything you need to tailor-make the perfect itinerary for your customers.
And when you book through Phenix, you can control your margin to find a price-point that suits your customers’ budget and means you earn a fair amount for the work you put in.
An active community
Like any tour operator worth it’s salt, Travel Counsellors take advantage of plenty of trips to destinations near and far.
Whether its to experience a destination or product on a Travel Counsellor-exclusive FAM trip, an invitation from one of our valued suppliers to a luxurious event or one of our “Gold” reward trips (we hold 3 per year), the opportunities to travel are extensive.
Closer to home, we hold a huge variety of events throughout the year for Travel Counsellors to get involved with, including our annual conference, takeover days, TC Kids Days, fundraising events for our charity partner, Reuben’s Retreat, and hosted dinners.
It may take some time to get your business to thrive, so you’ll need to ensure you can support yourself financially until your business starts pulling in the revenue you need it to.
Some franchisees hit the ground running, whilst for others, it takes a bit longer to establish their business.
You’ll need to be self-sufficient. We provide training and development courses from ILM-certified business development coaches, marketing materials and advice, admin and finance support, but you need to bring the go-getter mindset.
You’ll be self-employed. Losing a salary and not having any customers are by far the two biggest concerns for anybody ‘going it alone’. But remember, as a Travel Counsellor, you’re never alone.
We have over 1,800 Travel Counsellors globally who have made the leap before you, and are now running successful businesses with us.
Need more information?
We're here to help.
If you’ve ever wondered if you’ve got what it takes to strike out on your own as a Travel Counsellor, wonder no more! Here are the six key signs to look out for...
There are no limits to what you can achieve as a Travel Counsellor. We give you every opportunity to be successful, and here we outline just three ways we support franchisees to keep on growing.